Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lybbe and Solorunner's Kale Salad

I got this recipe from two friends on Twitter. I'll give you the recipe then note my adaptations below.

Ingredients:
kale, chopped very finely (no rib)
cherry tomatoes
avocado
green onion

Dressing:
olive oil
lemon juice
salt and pepper

This is the basic recipe and it's delicious as is. However, I have trouble chewing raw kale right now due to my new braces so I blanched a head of chopped kale for 2-3 minutes (that's all) and ran cold water over it. Then I patted it dry(er) with a paper towel. I used some in a salad that day and left the rest for a salad at work the next day.

Also - I don't use oil on my salad, just fresh lemon juice and S&P.

One day I added some leftover cold asparagus, cut in one inch pieces - yum! And another day I added some dice red pepper. Another day, I used chopped tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. Yet another day I chopped up some leftover cooked chicken breast and added that.

No matter how you make it, it's a wonderful salad, made of well-documented super foods!

Enjoy!

No comments: