I made this for dinner tonight, tossing in stuff as I went. It was SO good but then, anything that begins with sauteed onions and mushrooms HAS to be good. What follows is my recipe. Obviously you can use different veggies and beans etc. All measurements are approximate and can be easily changed.
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped or sliced mushrooms
Butter/olive oil/margarine or ?
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups swiss chard, stems removed, coarsely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1-2T light soy sauce
Other herbs - basil, oregano, thyme, whatever you like
1. Cook the swiss chard in pan with a little water and a lid for 6-8 minutes
2. Saute onions and mushrooms in a non stick pan (oilve oil, butter, maraginze whatever you want). Add freshly ground salt and pepper.
3. Add rinsed black beans, cooked rice, and drained swiss chard to the pan and mix well. Let heat through for a few minutes.
4. Season any way you like - I squeezed in the juice of one lemon and added a dash or two of light soy sauce, more salt and pepper, and some dried herbs ( - what ever you like.)
I had some left over sliced, sauted zucchini so I threw that in too. I would have put in some diced red pepper but I was out.
This meal had about 425 calories - depending on how much fat you use. Nutrient info is approximate and comes from Sparkpeople.com
Calories - 425
Carbs - 67 grams
Fat - 15 grams
Protein - 17 grams
* I'll admit, I was really hungry and ate two helpings..... Oops.